Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Cold Spell

Elephant Butte Lake as seen from high above the damn on the Rio Grande River


Seven O’ Clock in the morning here in T or C. I’ve been up since about six. It was an extremely cold night last night and the forecast is telling me that there will be two more days and nights of this way out of the ordinary over-the-top cold, hard blowing wind and some snow.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m used to this weather in Winter. This is how it is much of the time back in River Falls, Wisconsin. Maybe not the wind, but the snow and cold are regular occurrences.
Remember when I was getting ready to travel South and I said that I wasn’t just going down to New Mexico to get away from the weather? I lied, a little bit, because I knew it was usually warmer, sunnier and there wouldn’t be any snow. Winter is a long season up North, and I wanted a break from part of it.
The outdoor patio at The Black Cat coffee shop and Used Book Store, immersed in sunshine most days

Now, not only is the weather just like at home, it seems worse since the air is dry and I’m cooped up in an 8’ X 16’ space, the water is turned off because it will freeze in the pipes and the heating system isn’t made for these extremes. It’s 40 degrees at the floor of the RV. At least the air temperature up where my head is is warm enough, or at least seems to be for now. Even the computer is cold. I have the MacBook Air with a titanium case. Plastic wouldn’t feel so cold to the touch!
There is no need to complain on my part. I accept whatever the Sacred Earth Mother gives us. I will look for the good in it all. I’ll adjust my plans and find something to do to pass the time until Friday or Saturday when the temperatures are said to return to a more normal range and the sun comes back out.

Here's The Morphodite, "Morph", set up in the RV park

Right now, I’ve got a kettle on the stove for tea. I’ll sit around here until the rest of the world gets a move on and head out to the local diner for breakfast. No sense in making a mess and piling up dishes when there won’t be water to wash them until Friday sometime, I hope. 
Something I did set out to do on this journey was to try to regulate my blood glucose levels. As many of you know, I am a diabetic. I have, so far, exceeded my goal and the morning blood sugar test strips are telling me that I am well into the normal range and have been since I got here. It’s only been a week, I know, but it’s a start. I think the biggest difference is no TV and therefore no night time snacking. That, and the fact that what and how much and when I’m eating have been measured and regulated. I’m hoping this can be a habit that I hold onto for good as diabetes really does wreak havoc with the old body.
I might also mention my shoulders have been feeling much better and I attribute that to the daily immersions into the mineral hot springs here in Truth Or Consequences. I didn’t dip yesterday, but I think I will go in today, even with this brutal cold weather. The place where I have Morph set up is called The Artesian Bath House and Trailer Court. They have individual tubs, housed indoors, next to the office. I think I’ll set in one of those tubs until I’m warmed to the bone.


A neighbor, Ray from Nebraska, is an older gentleman, and he tells me that the arthritis in his hands is completely gone because of the miraculous effects of these healing mineral water hot springs. I can’t say that all of this is true, but it is a known fact that the Mescalero Apache Indians used the hot springs to soothe and heal from battle scars and other ailments.

A metal sculpture hanging on a fence. The art world is evident here

That’s my report for today. I’m working on a couple of stories and we’ll see about getting them posted soon. The blog might have to wait out the weather extremes like we do. Motivation struggles and fingertips are cold, and sure as hell don’t feel like going out to take pictures. As you can see, I’ve scattered a few photos around of my surroundings.



I had to take a picture of my namesake. I'll stop in next time I need a haircut

Be nice to people. You know, the random act of kindness thing? Do it. It might make you feel good inside and allow others to do the same. Pay it forward as they say, stay warm, and above all, Peace.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A most interesting post. Thanks.
Peace.

All the best, Boonie

Anne said...

Brrrrrr. I felt the cold just reading this! Just so you know, Cali has been chilly as well, especially in the mornings. T or C looks like an interesting locale. Take good care, friend. Send me and email when you get close to the left coast.

Christopher said...

Good stuff, Spadoman. I'm enjoying the read and the ride. What a great vehicle!

Peace

Jeannie said...

I don't know whether to envy you or not. I'm sure it's colder here but the house is built for it and we do have running water. I would love a soak in a mineral springs if it eases arthritis even just a bit.

Mel said...

Oh, I could do with a good soak after moving all that snow...... And tonight--we're looking at -24. Very much the norm after the storm moves on--but you know that.

Makes what you're getting to deal in sound a bit warmer, maybe?
Or not.....LOL

But--we're settled in with the furnace going and a good cuppa coffee. And glad for the shoveling to done, at least for today.

Perhaps I'll try for a bubble bath with duckies and a good pretend!

You keep moving--and go for a wander about. Nope, you won't feel like photos if you're not out spotting things of interest. Besides, a good walk does wonders for that blood sugar (which is quite the feat--way to go, sir!!)

Stay warm--go on lots of adventures. More artwork maybe--the one on the fence is just awesome!! :-)

Fran said...

I hope the locals don't blame you for bringing the cold winter weather their way!

I'm a water baby & the hot springs/mineral waters are so very healing. Both physically & mentally big stress reliever.

Glad to hear those glucose numbers are back down to earth.... no easy task.

susan said...

It looks wonderful there - especially from here where I'm overlooking 12 fresh inches of snow. Enjoy yourself and offer some words of kindness from Nova Scotia too.

english inukshuk said...

ooooooh - I want to sit at the Black Cat Coffee Shop and Used Book Store, preferably a seat in the sun

looks wonderful!

hope you're having a happy and healing time

(-:

stay safe

Sarcastic Bastard said...

The hot springs sound good, man. I am so OVER winter. Ohio sucks.

eaprez said...

Congrats on the glucose levels!

mig said...

Oh I'm sorry for the cold! It would have been nice to have some warmth, still it's great news that your blood sugar levels are better and that you have the hot springs nearby.
Look after yourself and go find some warm people to talk to. (you usually do :)