Sunday, May 29, 2011

South Shore Lake Superior

Shadow Shot Sunday
May 29, 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday is fun and very addicting. Many fine folks from all over the world publish their photos with shadows and we all share here on Sundays, all thanks to Tracy. See more Shadow Shots and find out to participate at the Hey Harriet Blog.

This old worn tree trunk made a rail on an old fence along the shore
I spent some time camping along the South Shore of the Great Lake Superior last week. We used an old encampment that was mostly used for gathering teenagers and the occasional fisherman's camp. Sings of earlier occupation were seen from this small fence that made a safe barrier alont the sdge of a small cliff at water's edge.


This knot, the trunk, or butt end, of a small pine tree, just made up one of the rails. It was a cloudy day the day I snapped the photo, but the shadows till were bold. In the photos below, you can see the rail and the beautiful lake beyond. I was on the Red Cliff Indian Reservation and the islands in the distance are part of the Apostle Island National Scenic Lakeshore.

I love the waves on the big lake. Close together, different from the ocean, but still that sound as water meets the land.



And a last shot of the butt end.



You can read more about this trip, and I urge you to do so,  in the post below this one entitled Another Spiritual Journey.

May Peace find you today and everyday

10 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Joe these are beautiful pictures that I can almost hear the water lapping at the shore. I am an Atlantic ocean girl myself .. but in a pinch ? the sound of water from just about any source , is still soothing : )
That fence is beautifully done and the wood aged to perfection! .. I have drift wood that husband brought home from his fishing excursions and it looks perfect in the garden .. the birds think so too ? LOL .. Did you have some clear skies at night so you could see the stars ? .. I think of the times as a kid we would lay on the grass, look up and be totally hypnotized by how profound it was to see such an amazing sight : )
Thank "heavens" for wonderful memories ? LOL
Joy : )

Jeannie said...

How come old people aren't viewed to be as beautiful as that old chunk of wood?

A Wild Thing said...

I totally agree, whether the rivers or the sea, the sounds of living waters are music to one's ear...like the fountain I finally got running and at 5:00 in the morning I enjoy it the most, no traffic on the highway, so I can hear it.

There is so much motorcycle traffic on the highway right now, many toting trailers behind. When my Dad stops by on his Sunday visits, he always pauses to look at the bikers and dream melancholy thoughts of the good ol' days and his many cross-countries on his faithful BMW. I never tire listening to his tall tales, at 83, he's still riding...and as his memory and strength are fading, I worry, but what a way to go, doing what he loves...biking!

Too funny about the bricks, yes friend, someday our paths will cross, you'll find me in the garden, I just bought a small electric tiller, so I'm going BIG TIME, next year, MAIZE...I can't wait, doing it the old fashioned way is too hard on these old bones, but not to worry, this ol' work horse will still be brandishing her trusty spade(and hoe)...have a wonderful, safe holiday...looks like the thunderstorms are moving in...RATS, but sun and 90's Monday...YIPPEE!!!!!!

Peace to you brother...s

Tanyia said...

I love your photos! So beautiful and serene are the surroundings.

I am stopping by from Shadow Shot Sunday and would love to have you stop by http://mamasgonnashoot.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-photo-was-taken-at-us-national.html

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos - I love old fences and anything with gnarly bits, so these are perfect!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Even though the day seems somewhat grey and overcast, you ended up with some intriguing and mysterious shadows, Spadoman!



I ALMOST LOST MY SHADOW

I almost lost my shadow,
I left it in the park;
I heard my mommy calling,
For it was getting dark;

She has no use for shadows,
She thinks they are quite grim,
And when she saw my shadow,
She thought it was a “him.”

I had to educate her
And tell her it was “she”—
And now my faithful shadow
Is welcome as can be!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Shadows in the Barrio

Dimple said...

You saved the best shot for last, good for you!
I love old, gnarly wood, lakes, and fences, so this is a perfect subject as far as I'm concerned.

I also read the previous, very beautiful, piece. Your words captured the peace and tranquility of early morning in camp perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Yes, when the sound of water meets the land. Love the sounds too.
Great images.

EG CameraGirl said...

The sound of water lapping the shores is indeed magical. Nice post!

Unknown said...

I haven't known fist-hand the horrors of war but I find this a very solemn holiday.

The current wars tear my heart open and never does a day go by when I don't think of the senselessness of it all.

Today I wish for us all the ability to imagine peaceful routes to freedom. Idealistic, I know...

Thinking of you this Memorial Day,
G.