Thursday, December 2, 2010

Our Lady of the Way

A Virgin a Day
December 2, 2010
Day 2




A Virgin a Day is the title of this Meme Project. It is a tribute to Our Lady of Guadalupe. The plan is to post about The Blessed Virgin Mary for twelve days, ending on December 12th, the Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe. To participate, see Rebecca’s recuerdo mi corazon blog. There, you will get more definition and instructions as well as see other’s submissions. 


You can't imagine how bummed out I am that I have to leave town right in the middle of all this Virgin business that's going on. But I must. I will post a photo of an original art piece I have today, and will pick up where I left off when I return. I won't be back until next week, probably by Tuesday, but I'll get Virgin a Day posts in for the last 6 days of this wonderful Meme Project. Please make your way back here, and to the others. I have some excitement planned.

As I will throughout the entire exercise, I devote these posts to my Mother, Carmelina Rosa Caruso Spado, who dearly loved The Blessed Virgin Mary in any form she appeared.

For today, Day 2 of twelve, I present a print of a painting I have of Nuestra Senora del Camino, Our Lady of the Way.

A print of a painting by Francesca I. de Garcia C
Many think, when they hear of Our Lady of the Way, that she is the Patron Saint of travelers. But her claim to fame is much more than that. The "Way" that she guides, is the way of Jesus Christ.

A brief story, I purchased this piece for my Mother many years ago while I was in the small town of La Mesilla, NM, near Las Cruces. That's the first time I met Francesca, the artist. I have returned a number of times and plan on seeing her again this Winter as I travel to New Mexico.

When my Mother passed, I asked that I could have this artist's rendition  back for my own collection and my request was granted by my brother and sister.

Peace to All


12 comments:

Christopher said...

Thank you, Spadoman. This promises to be an inspired series. I hope you will manage to include La Moreneta from Monserrat in Spain. Go well.

Peace

Mel said...

k....this one made me teary.

(((((((( Spadoman ))))))))

Safe journey, sir.
You'll be missed.
But I look forward to hearing of the adventure.
And for more on the Saints.

rebecca said...

i love this. your every word. the honoring of your mother.
this, our mary of the way is heart warming.
i am particularly drawn to these more
primitive folk art devotional paintings. i love the immediacy and accessibility of earthen paints and humble depictions.

thank you so much for your place in our hearts. travel safe and return renewed.

foxysue said...

Hi Spodaman,

Love your Mary,
Love your mother's beautiful name,
Lovely to honour her in this way!

Sue x

Meri said...

Love Mary of the Way -- she's beautiful. And I love your story of how she first was close to your mother's heart and now yours. It's stories like this that make material things special.

turquoise cro said...

My mother-in-law LOVED MARY too like your mother! Beautiful painting and I'm GLAD YOU got it! Have a safe journey! Mary will be with YOU!

deb did it said...

She is so wonderful....and what a special "re-gift"

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

How wonderful that your siblings did not 'fight' over that with you! Your mother has to be proud of all of you.
I've been to that town (drove though it I think). Small. Really small.
I wonder if my son will pay tribute to me as you do yours? One can only hope. At 19 years old, quite the opposite happens.
Hope springs eternal!

Noelle Clearwater said...

I am sure that Carmelina Rosa will bless you on your journey along with Mother Mary, Our Lady of the Way. Beautiful post Joe, and I have seen paintings like that in New Mexico. Takes me back.
Peace,
noelle

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story--blessed be your mom who I like to think is looking down on us since she loved Mary so. I'm so glad you have your gift back. I'm sure you are reminded of your mom each time you see it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Thanks.

All the best, Boonie

Mel said...

I hope the travels have been uneventful (weather wise). I know you'll be sad to have missed the snow that got dumped on us. :-/