Saturday, April 9, 2011

Theme in Black and White, Continued

Shadow Shot Sunday
April 10. 2011

Gabba Gabba Hey!


Shadow Shot Sunday is a wonderful vibrant meme created by Tracy who hails from Brisbane, Queensland. It is very popular and for good reason. So many talented people posting photographs with something that can usually be found everywhere in everything we do, a shadow.

Take a look at Hey Harriet to see more submissions and find out how you can participate in Shadow Shot Sunday.



Last week for Shadow Shot Sunday, I posted some old photos I had taken in a photography class in 1976. They are 35 mm film prints. I’d like to continue in that theme with this selection of photos from the same project.
 
You can click, or possibly double-click, on any photograph to enlarge the image

These first ones above makes shadows from texture and relief from the surface of a sculpted piece. The close up is from the base of the sculpture.
 

Stock photo of the old Federal Reserve Building in Minneapolis, MN

This is the old Federal Reserve Building in Minneapolis, MN. The day I went there to use the buildings sweeping steel and glass curves as a subject, it was a gloomy cloudy time with rain infused here and there throughout the day. I see these days as Black and White days. Everything is muted. Even colorful places lose their vibrancy. Since this building was black and gray, it matched natures pall. I might even have been able to use color film and the shots would have come out the same. I believe that’s why they are so rich in black and white.
Unique as there are no reflections in the mirrored glass windows

 


Hard to find any shadowing in this shot, but they are there, in the reflection on the round rail


Although very subtle, the shadows can be seen beneath these unique "benches" in the courtyard

The underside of the building. Scratches in this shot are from the age and storage of the prints.

Granite base of reflecting pool

This bubbling pool seemed to be floating, (no pun intended) as it was built on an uneven surface with a large granite base

The thought occurred to me to find an old film camera and do more with film. The digital way of today has many pluses, but the richness and warmth of film is calling to me. Anyone else having that thought these days?

Hope you enjoy these images. I appreciate all the shadow shots when I visit Hey Harriet over the weekend.



 

This photo has nothing to do with the Federal Reserve Building subject, but I liked the black and white shot of our old sofa. 



Peace

26 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

The black and white shot of your old sofa is very sexy!
Nice take for either of the memes.

Ms. Becky said...

your images are awesome. I just got my 35mm film camera back from the repair shop and I'm loving it again as much as I did in the 80's. I'm certain I too took photos of the very same buildings in Minneapolis, and for a college photo class!!! many years back. I agree with Margaret about the sofa shot. but I really like the lines in all of your images. have a great weekend Spadoman.

Anonymous said...

A very interesting collection of photos. I am happy to stick to my digital camera - I take so many photos, it would be far to expensive a hobby if I used film!

Sylvia K said...

Terrific, unique shadow shots for the day! But then yours always are! I, too, could no longer take as many pics as I do if I had to use film! That, plus, I'm not as good/experienced a photographer as you are! But I do have fun!! Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I like your old sofa too--it looks like the perfect place for snuggling!


WELCOME THE SHADOWS

Welcome the shadows surrounding your life,
Treat them as cousin or husband or wife;
Welcome them in as you would one who’s dear;
Hug them, embrace them without any fear;
Honor, respect them, and give them their due,
For shadow and light are both parts of you.


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Deep Shadows Beckon

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Hello Joe : ) how are you ?
My favorite shots are the , as you described them .. unique benches and the trees keeping them company ;-)
The sofa made me think of aged skin wrinkled but warm and loving .. just my first impressions and we all know we should follow the instincts of those first impressions right ?
I am so hoping to get this first "reno" of the year finished this coming week so I can concentrate on my garden and the pictures I want to take .. my obsession !
I'm afraid I have to stick to digital as frayedattheedge said we take so many pictures it would be way out of the budget .. groan !
But yes .. I think you are right .. there is a certain something about film and what "it" sees ?
Joy : )

rebecca said...

this really swept me away...
like a favorite old movie.
great plot, perfect visuals!

woke up to five inches of snow here in prescott.
very lovely....

Gemma Wiseman said...

So many fascinating perspectives! Wonderful soft play of shadows!

mig said...

It's great when you take out some old work and think "hey! not so bad"
I like these a lot - the long long line of the rail leading to a vanishing point is a bit of a classic composition and you've 'seen' the shapes and curves so well in some of the others.
Black and white is always very satisfying if, as in these, you've chosen a shot that makes the most of it.

Dimple said...

I love the abstract image of the windows, it's wonderful!

As to film, I haven't done much with it since I went digital, and one of the reasons is the cost. Of course, digital is less permanent...

Chubskulit Rose said...

Beautiful shadow shots!

My shadow post, have a good night!

Shydub said...

Beautiful photography

Hey Harriet said...

These are fantastic and it's nice to hear that you've been inspired to shoot with film again. I love film photography and indulge in it from time to time but as others have said it can be costly! As much as I enjoy digital, there is a special kind of magic to film photography that just can't be captured digitally :)

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Another interesting set of photos, I love them all and my favourite one is the of the round park benches with the winter-naked trees.

Hootin Anni said...

Loved the architecture ...great themes and subjects.


My Sunday's Link:

In the Shadows of your Mind

It's always a delight to have you visit with me when you get a chance...Hope your Sunday treats you well.

EG CameraGirl said...

What fun to see the old photo. I never did much with film because it always seemed so expensive to me. It would have taken a LOT of film for me to finally learn how to take a decent photo. :))

I'm late this week (EW!) so thought I'd better send you my link:
http://moreofme24.blogspot.com/2011/04/stained-glassshadow-shot-sunday.html

Mel said...

....wow.......

You can lug your camera anywhere and everywhere if you're gonna share prints like this......

Holy cow.......

Can I just say I love the round benches?
Makes me wanna scootch around in a circle. LOL

anna maria said...

My favorite is the one with the benches, maybe the snow, maybe the symmetry - there's something about it that draws me in.
I have no desire to go back to film cameras. I've been using a digital since 2003 and still have so much to learn about it, plus I love the luxury of just shooting with abandon and discarding the rejects.
P.S. you should visit Italy someday. I'm not familiar with Calabria, but Palermo is beautiful city!

Anonymous said...

Love the benches. They are all so vibrant.
The cost of going back to film would be too much for me!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Beautiful series of black and whites, Joe! Absolutely beautiful! I especially love the close ups and the one of the couch. Celebrate the mundane!

Ralph said...

You are so right about B&W film. The tones are warmer, the contrasts subtle - and the effects evocative, especially how we see people's feelings and moods. The old photos are quite artistic, and I used in the old days a Pentax K1000. This manual SLR and film allowed for neat photos. Digital is easy to use, film harder bur with more artistry...

Unknown said...

Oh what a fantastic collection, I really like the one of the building with no reflection! Nice work. Yeah I will also stick to my DSLR. Thank you for your comments this week Joe, much appreciated. Jo

A Wild Thing said...

Fun stuff, it's always so much fun to reflect back and all the film wasted trying to get the perfect shot...and now my beautiful camera sits on a shelf...and waits...

Hey, gimmee a holler if you're close by, I'll be knee deep in dog hair, gardening and chicken poo, that's just the way of it and it don't git much better'n that!

The Mississippi river is a risin', but the Cedar and the Iowa have gone down, there's still a parking lot on the riverfront as of this mornin', but it's bank full.

Have a safe trip travelin' man!

s

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Wow...lots of great shots here! I think the one with the benches is my favorite :)

susan said...

I like that you see the light and shadows in everything.

E Makes Art said...

These photos are fantastic! I love the one of the tree with the benches. And the close up of the Federal reserve building is wonderful!! I love the contrast and the patterns. Great captures. Yes, I think you should pick up a film camera again, there's nothing like it! : )

Have fun,
Esther