Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sunday Morning Sunrise Edition


A butterfly with pretty flowers, playing with shadows



Sunday morning reflections I guess. It’s early, really, if I was in the time I’m used to for the past four months, it’s only 4:45 a.m. But with the Daylight Savings time change that went into effect at 2:00 a.m., we’re right up against 5:00 in the morning. That’s a reprieve for me. In my heart of hearts, I feel I had a good night to stay in bed, asleep or not, until 5 a.m., better still, six. These sunrise shots were taken on a trip to New Mexico a couple of years ago, right about this time of year. The beautiful Caballo Mountains are on the other side of the Rio Grande from where I was camped. I love watching the day brighten inch by inch.

Let's watch the sun rise, shall we?




Yesterday was exhausting. I didn’t really do much. That’s part of my problem. If I did some activity every day like take a walk or ride the bicycle, I’d have more energy. But I haven’t been doing squat. Yesterday had me getting out of the house and traveling to St. Paul to visit my good friend Steve at the J&S Bean Factory Coffee Shop. I had a big brew bar Sumatra coffee and drank it down to the bottom, then refilled my cup with the Sulawasi, a flavorful Indonesian coffee that Steve hasn’t had for a while, from the coffee of the day urn.

These are the Caballo Mountains along the Rio Grande River near Hatch, New Mexico




Turned out there was a small meeting, and I happened to be there for it. It was all people I know. The meeting was a planning meeting for a ceremony event that will take place over Memorial Day weekend. I turned out being at the right place at the right time. I also ran into some other friends that I haven’t talked to for a couple of months. It was good to catch up.

They were hard to see, but there were flocks of geese flying over the mountains this particular morning




When I got home, I found furniture had been moved around and things adjusted here and there to accommodate some house guests we’re going to have for a while. I hung around the house and just kind of sat there doing nothing. Part of the lack of enthusiasm for living life to the fullest is because of the weather. Gloomy these days, but above freezing and the snow is melting at a rapid rate. But even though it was above the magical 32 degrees Fahrenheit, it was damp, and even the thought I had of working in the garage to organize my workbench fell to deaf ears.

Ole Sol, peeking out, brightening up your day




Busy is the byword for the next couple of weeks though, so I was thinking I’ll lay low and take it easy today. Since I’m up so early and I gained, (or lost, depending on your point of view), this hour with Daylight Savings Time, I think I’ll get dressed and go out for breakfast. I haven’t been in a seedy diner in the wee hours for a long time. Usually good for some mind fodder, watching the late night/early morning crowd blend together. I fantasize and romanticize about diners all the time anyway. Maybe I’ve stayed away from the Urban Jungle too long. I might need a fix. After all, I am from Chicago. I just live in a small town in Wisconsin.

There, that's a sunrise, eh?




I’ll be volunteering at the food shelter on Monday, then to a long whole day doctor visit to the VA on Tuesday, complete with blood test and ass chewing for not having better diabetes control. After the doctor, I take off in my van for Chicago to load up and haul home furniture from my Mom’s apartment. It will be reutilized by my daughter and her family, with a small portion going to the other daughter. Upon return on Thursday, and after the unloading, I have meetings in the evening and on Friday night, with another volunteer session Friday morning.

While all that is going on, the Grandkids are off of school for their Spring break. Mrs. Spadoman will fill in while I take care of my schedule. I wouldn’t have planned all this stuff if I knew the kids would be off of school. I didn’t look at the calendar. But it will work out, we’re a team here to some degree.

Cactus bathed in early morning sunlight





After six in the morning now, the actual daylight that we’ll be saving won’t be around until a little before seven a.m. But the NOAA seems to think that we’ll be in the mid fifties and sunny today. Maybe that motorcycle needs to be started and warmed up a bit. I mean, I can ride in fifty degree weather. Just got to watch those shady spots and the deeper puddles where the snow piles are still oozing water onto the road.

You folks have a great day. Be kind to each other. Be kind to yourselves. It all starts there you know, inside, in the heart.

Peace to all

6 comments:

susan said...

Great photographs and I loved the narrative thoughts between the individual elements of the sunrise. I know what you mean about a general lack of enthusiasm at the end of a long winter but I'll be hoping a little tour of the locality on your bike has revived you.

Billie Greenwood said...

Even though I live here, this post was a relaxing vacation moment in my day. Just love your reflections! I'm glad you have another SW trip to look forward to since this one was such a success. Those photos are so beautiful that people might thing that anyone can "point and shoot" here and get something spectacular, but I know--that's not true. You've got a gift.

Unknown said...

I have been sick and feeling useless, joyless and dreary for weeks now. This rainy weekend has not helped much but I did put up a couple of posts, after going days without doing even that. Even the most minimal effort seems like too much.

Lovely photos. They perked me up a bit.

Mel said...

Oh wow...... :-)

What a gorgeous start to the day--live and through photos, though I doubt they captured the awesomeness of it as well as you'd like.

Absolutely wonderful.
And it's good to have plans and a teammember to rely on. And friends to meet with.
I don't EVEN have to mention the good cuppa coffee do I? LOL

(((((((((((( Spadoman )))))))))))))

I hope your Sunday was as wonderful as mine was!

This Eclectic Life said...

Thank you for that lovely sunrise. It sounds like life is very busy for you right now. You be good to yourself, you hear?

mig said...

Oh I love your early mornings, the butterfly is magic!
The winter has been very long and hard. But Spring is coming any minute - I'm sure it is.